Should I have a mummy makeover?
After going through pregnancy and having children, it is normal for the body to change in more than one place. Some women find they are able to return to their pre-baby body much easier than others. However, many women find that they are still unhappy with their bodies even after following a healthy diet and exercise regime. If there are multiple areas of your body which you are unhappy with and would like to improve, you may be interested in undergoing a mummy makeover.
What is a mummy makeover?
A mummy makeover is a combination of cosmetic surgery procedures which aim to improve a woman’s body. This is generally aimed at women who have undergone childbirth, however, it also may be suitable for those who have had a large weight loss. While many women will be able to lose their pregnancy weight through diet and exercise, this will not help to fix any loose skin.
There are many surgeries which can be offered as part of a mummy makeover; the exact surgeries will vary from each woman. Surgeries which are offered as part of a mummy makeover include:
– Breast augmentation: this allows women to expand the size of the breasts. After breastfeeding, women may find their breasts are now smaller. Breast augmentation can be done by using implants or by undergoing a fat transfer to the breasts.
– Breast lift: as a result of milk production, the breasts will expand and contract, altering the size of the breasts and often leaving them saggier than previously. A lift removes excess skin and lifts the position of the breasts. Many women will wish to combine this with a breast augmentation, so the position can be lifted and the size can be increased.
– Tummy tuck: after pregnancy, many women will notice they have excess skin around the abdomen as a result of weight loss. No matter how much exercise you do, this will not fix the excess skin. A tummy tuck will remove the excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles. If you do not have as much excess skin you may be eligible for a mini tummy tuck rather than a full tummy tuck. This will mean you will have a shorter incision and will decrease your recovery period. A tummy tuck can also be combined with liposuction if necessary.
– Liposuction: liposuction removes excess pockets of fat from various areas of the body. This can include the abdomen, hips, flanks, buttocks, thighs and arms, to name a few. For a mummy makeover, liposuction can be combined with a tummy tuck to improve the appearance of the abdomen.
– Vaginoplasty or labiaplasty: after childbirth, the vagina will often change in appearance, with the vagina and the labia becoming stretched. This can often cause discomfort when wearing certain clothing or when engaging in sexual activities. As a result, women may wish to undergo either a vaginoplasty or a labiaplasty. The vaginoplasty focuses on tightening and strengthening the internal genitalia, while a labiaplasty will remove excess skin from the labia minora.
Can I have a mummy makeover?
You will eligible for a mummy makeover if you have recently had children and you are now wishing to alter several different areas of your body. If you are only wishing to alter one area, you will not need to undergo a mummy makeover.
You will need to be in good health to undergo this procedure. You will need to either be a non-smoker or be able to stop smoking prior to the procedure as well as during the recovery period.
It is important to remember that you will not be able to have a mummy makeover right after you have had children. At this stage, your body will still be changing and readjusting. Having surgery too soon after having children can often be dangerous. You will need to wait at least six months after having your child before considering undergoing a mummy makeover.
You will need to be at or as close as possible to your ideal weight. If you are having a tummy tuck and you proceed to lose a large amount of weight, this may result in you needing to undergo further surgical procedures.
Ideally, you will have finished having children. Having more children can alter the outcome of your initial surgery and may result in you having to undergo a mummy makeover again.
You need to not only think about the procedure but also think about the recovery period. You will need to make sure you can take enough time off work to recover from the invasive surgery. While recovering from a tummy tuck you will not be able to partake in any vigorous exercise, including any heavy lifting. As such you will not be able to lift any young children. You will have to factor in how your young children are going to be fully cared for while you recover.
What will the recovery period be like?
The recovery period will vary slightly depending on which combination of surgeries you undertook. However, because a mummy makeover includes a combination of surgeries, the recovery period is particularly extensive.
You may wish to ensure you have assistance for the first couple of weeks; during this time you will need to get lots of bed rest. You will have to avoid sleeping on your stomach in order to avoid any wound complications. Make sure to keep your head more elevated than usual.
You will have to wear compression garments throughout the recovery period. This will help to reduce swelling and avoid fluid build up.
Remember that you may have swelling for a few months, which will impact how your results will look. After the swelling subsides, you will be able to notice the final results of your mummy makeover.
Are you interested in a mummy makeover? Contact London Lipo Institute for more information or to book a consultation.